Taking part in my RFD Question Time series is disability blogger and activist Lucy Currier, who runs the blog Inclusive Living Concepts.
1. What inspired you to start blogging?
I have so many opinions on things and I rant about accessibility a lot, so I thought why not write them down and raise awareness. Hopefully long term I can be an influence for positive change.
2. What advice would you give to other bloggers starting out?
Don’t overthink things. I’m always doing that. I’m going to aim to write what I feel from now on and try not to worry about what people will think.
Of course, I want people to identify with and like my content, but I think that only happens by being yourself.
3. What is your disability and how does it affect you on a daily basis?
I was born with Cerebral Palsy Spastic Quadriplegia. I’m reliant on an electric wheelchair, cannot stand unaided and I require assistance with all daily tasks.
4. What do you love about being disabled?
Nothing. I find it really restricting BUT I do love the community spirit and the support you find from other disabled people. I’m also strong willed and empathetic, two things which I may not be if it wasn’t for my disability.
5. If you were given a pill to cure your disability, would you take it and why?
Yes. To be unrestricted by my needs, not to have to plan outings way in advance or do research before hand and be able to manage my personal care needs without anyone else in the room.
I realise it’s more fashionable to say the opposite but that’s how I feel. I’m intelligent enough to realise if I didn’t have my disability there would be other struggles but I still think the grass is definitely greener on the other side in my case.
6. What has been your favourite concert or festival you’ve attended?
I honestly can’t choose between Adele and Nickelback. Both amazing events!
7. If you were organising a music festival, which three acts would you book as your headliners?
Nickelback, Adele and Elton John.
8. If you could travel to anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
New Zealand, the scenery, the weather, the hobbits!
9. If you got stranded on a deserted island, what three things could you not live without?
My wheelchair, my iPad and my headphones.
10. What is your favourite film and why?
I don’t really have one, it’s mood dependent but normally anything Disney/Pixar related will have me grinning.
11. Who would you like to play you in a movie of your life?
No idea. I’ll be asking for suggestions if it ever goes ahead.
12. What is your favourite book and why?
Pride and Prejudice, I don’t really know why. The characters and the love story has just always grabbed me.
13. If you were to write an autobiography, what would you call it?
Me, Myself and I.
14. If you could go back in time, where would you go?
I’d rather go to the future but if I had to go back I’d go back to just before my 11th birthday and change schools, I chose the wrong one!
15. If you could be an animal, what would you be and why?
A dog because they are so lovable and can make people happy just by being in a room.
16. What is your worst habit?
I’m a worry-wort!
17. Are you an early bird or night owl?
18. Which is your favourite season and why?
Summer – I love the sun.
19. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be a Disney animator.
20. What is your dream job?
My dream job is to be a travel writer and access consultant.
You can also check out other RFD Question Time interviews.
If you would like to feature in my “RFD Question Time with…” series or publish an original guest post, please contact me.
Like Rock For Disability on Facebook, follow me on Twitter @P94Emma, follow me on Pinterest or use the Contact Form.
Thank you for visiting Rock For Disability! If you enjoy reading my blog content, please consider supporting me by donating money to help fund future blog posts. Plus 20% of each donation will go to a disability charity at the end of the year! ♿️🎸🎶🎵🤑😍❤️