For today’s RFD Question Time, I’d like to welcome disability blogger and campaigner Kerry Thompson, who runs the blog My Life, Kerry’s Way.
1. What inspired you to start blogging?
I originally started my blog as kind of a free therapy session for myself as a way of expressing what it’s like living with a progressive muscle wasting condition.
2. What advice would you give to other bloggers starting out?
Find your niche – write about something you know like having a disability or something your truly passionate about – when you write about something you’re not too sure about that’s when you find you’ll struggle to put fingers to keyboard.
Don’t worry about followers, they will come in time. Plus, the most important thing be yourself!
3. What is your disability and how does it affect you on a daily basis?
I have a rare form of Muscular Dystrophy – a muscle wasting condition – that affects my arms and leg muscles plus my respiratory. I use a powered wheelchair full time.
Daily life changes from day to day just doing the basics of tasks one day can be an uphill struggle then the next it’s that little bit easier like washing your face to eating a sandwich!
4. What do you love about being disabled?
The person it’s made me and the community of people is incredible I’ve made some amazing life-long friends.
As much as we don’t all know each other when it’s needed we will all rallied together and support each other and that’s a beautiful thing!
5. If you were given a pill to cure your disability, would you take it and why?
Wow great controversial question – As someone who’s seen both sides of the scope it’s hard because I strives to educate others on disability so I guess the answer should be Nope! I love who I am and my life – granted the outside world not so much better inclusion Is needed.
But I do miss walking for miles in the countryside. The universe has made me the way I am for a reason.
6. What has been your favourite concert or festival you’ve attended?
It was a few years back now but Eminem at the MK Bowl it was an incredible concert and the atmosphere was insane!
7. If you were organising a music festival, which three acts would you book as your headliners?
Little Mix, J-Lo & Dua Lipa – It’s all about the girl power!
8. If you could travel to anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
New Zealand – The land where adventures wait!
9. If you got stranded on a deserted island, what three things could you not live without?
A knife would need to cut things up, rope has many different uses and totally going to need a first aid kit I should never be left in charge of sharp objects!
10. What is your favourite film and why?
Practical Magic – my favourite scene midnight margaritas.
11. Who would you like to play you in a movie of your life?
Haha – not sure anyone would but any Crazy blonde in charge of a wheelchair with MD is fine with me.
12. What is your favourite book and why?
To be completely honest I don’t have one boring I know.
13. If you were to write an autobiography, what would you call it?
My Life Kerry’s way
14. If you could go back in time, where would you go?
Ooh – I’d love to go back to the roaring 20s or the Tudor times
15. If you could be an animal, what would you be and why?
A horse – they are graceful beautiful creatures.
16. What is your worst habit?
Obviously, I don’t have one but if you ask my husband It’s a totally different story!
17. Are you an early bird or night owl?
Hmmm – It depends I can be both.
18. Which is your favourite season and why?
I love the summer because of the heat but I love the autumn because of the beautiful colours just need it to be a little warmer.
19. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A show jumper
20. What is your dream job?
My own working yard (i.e horses)
You can also check out other RFD Question Time interviews.
If you would like to feature in my “RFD Question Time with…” series or publish an original guest post, please contact me.
Like Rock For Disability on Facebook, follow me on Twitter @P94Emma, follow me on Pinterest or use the Contact Form.
Thank you for visiting Rock For Disability! If you enjoy reading my blog content, please consider supporting me by donating money to help fund future blog posts. Plus 20% of each donation will go to a disability charity at the end of the year! ♿️🎸🎶🎵🤑😍❤️